1 c. butter, melted 1/2 ts. salt
2 c. sugar 2/3 c. cocoa
2 tsp. vanilla 1/2 tsp. baking powder
4 eggs 1 c. nuts (optional)
1 c. flour
Blend butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs and beat well with a spoon. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to egg mixture until well blended. Stir in nuts. Spread in greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until brownie begins to pull away from edge of pan. Do not over-bake.
- Mandy’s Hints: The above recipe is written just as it appears in the book.
- I only softened my butter – I didn’t melt it.
- I didn’t use nuts, but you might all have guessed that by now. 🙂
- I have been having a problem with my brownies always caving in once they’re baked and cooling. So I did some research (my mom doesn’t have this problem so she was no help – off to Google I went!) and turns out I may have been over-beating my batter and adding my eggs too quickly. So I added my eggs one at a time, and blending them before adding another. THEN I only mixed in the flour mixture until it was barely blended. This really seemed to help!!!
- I definitely did not bake these for only 20-25 minutes. It took a good 45-50 minutes for me! WHAT??? Not sure what is going on with the timing on this one. But for me it was a lot longer than the recipe called for. I actually stopped using a timer after 40 minutes (and just eye-balled them), so it might have even been longer.
*This recipe came from the Mary’s Family Favorites (Recipes from the Weaver & Miller Families) cookbook. This particular recipe was submitted by Levi and Anna D. Miller. They’re a HUGE hit! 🙂