1 c. oleo 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 c. flour
Melt oleo in 9 x 13 inch pan. Add flour and sugar and stir. Bake for 12 minutes in 350 degree oven.
4 eggs, slightly beaten 1 tsp baking powder
2 c. white sugar 4 T. lemon juice
4 T. flour
Mix ingredients and pour over baked crust. Return to oven for 20-25 minutes. Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
* This recipe is written exactly as it appears in “Mary’s Family Favorites”. It was submitted by Esther C. Miller. My husband loves lemon desserts (I’m learning that while he used to say he wasn’t a “desserts” man, there are certain ones he will eat!), so I thought I would make this one today. 🙂 I’m a fan – this has a great lemon flavor! I’ve tried homemade (and even the boxed version!) lemon bars before and they’ve fallen short when it came to flavor. This one does not!
Below are a few notes that I have on this recipe:
- I used unsalted butter, as opposed to the oleo referenced in the recipe.
- I had to bake my bars for 35-45 minutes (I can’t remember the exact time – I was also running after two 2 year-old boys…time tends to get away from you), as opposed to the 20-25 minutes listed on the recipe.
- I also didn’t sprinkle the top with powdered sugar. I know most people do this, but my husband doesn’t really care, so I skipped that final step.
- Bonus – the final product looks great!
The top is nice and slightly “crusty”, which I really like, but the inside is nice and, how do you say, not chewy, but well – like a lemon bar should be! LOL!!! I definitely recommend this dessert. 🙂