2 cups shortening 4 tsp vanilla
2 cups peanut butter 2 tsp salt
2 cups white sugar 4 tsp baking soda
2 cups brown sugar 8 tablespoons milk
4 eggs 6 cups flour
*Ok, the above is the recipe just as written in the “Mary’s Family Favorites” cookbook, submitted by Ervin A. (Lucy) Miller. You’ll notice it doesn’t reference how to mix the ingredients (order) or the bake time and temperature. 🙂 That’s where I come in! Let me add some commentary to this yummy recipe.
- Mix shortening (I used butter), peanut butter and sugars together. Once creamy, add eggs, vanilla and milk. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the salt, baking soda and flour. Mix into the peanut butter mixture.
- Chill dough well (a few hours will suffice, but can chill overnight).
- Shape into 1 inch balls (or as small/big as you prefer), roll in some white sugar and place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- While still warm, place a Hershey kiss in center of each cookie.