The Thursday That Just Won’t QUIT


What do I mean by that? Well, the song that keeps running through my mind is this:

“What a day that will be, when my Jesus I shall see

When I look upon His face, the One who saved me by His grace

When He takes me by the hand and leads me to the Promised Land

What a day, glorious day, that will be.”

Why that song? Probably because I’m longing for a stress-free day, right about now and I’m thinking that won’t happen until Heaven? šŸ™‚ I know, I know – calm it down, Mandy. Dramatic, much? But before you get all hot and bothered and think about how I’m overreacting, let me walk you through how my day has been so far. And it’s only 3:10 pm (at the very moment I write this very it’s 3:11).

1 – Morning routine went well. I woke up and did everything I normally do. Got on the laptop (with the morning news on, as usual), with my tea next to me, around 6:30 am. I go through my emails and get settled and go to log into my blog. Um, say what? I get a white screen that merely states at the top that I do not have permission to access the site at all, due to my IP address being “blacklisted”. I am sorry, come again? I beg your pardon? What in the world? BLACKLISTED? What did I do to become blacklisted on anything? I wasn’t even on my laptop since sometime yesterday! I mean, I think my husband was on it yesterday to look some stuff up (dog food, people!), but I can’t even remember if that was last night or Tuesday night…wait, that was Tuesday night…so no one was on here since I was on here yesterday. Was I on here yesterday? Anyway..

2 – I contact my hosting site and click on “live chat” – I’m informed that there is an approximate wait time of 12 minutes. So I take the dog out and I browse around the hosting site to see if I can fix it myself. I can’t. Finally, the host chat help support person-a-ma-bobber comes on. I explain. She/He (the name was honestly not an American one so I have no way of knowing the sex of the person, as if that even least they were typing in English..) discovered that there were too many unsuccessful log in attempts from my IP address. WHAT??? So she/he “whitelisted” me and suggested I scan my computer for spyware. Sigh…

3 – I go and grab the external hard drive and transfer all important files to the external hard drive, JUST IN CASE. While doing so, I determine I will need to do this every 3 months, NO MATTER WHAT, as it took way too long. So I set reminders on my phone to do this, every 3 months, from now through 2017.

4 – I start laundry, get my son up and dressed for the day – also giving him breakfast.

5 – While the files are transferring, my husband texts and asks if I can make some SnickersĀ (recipe here)Ā cookies for a work potluck thing-a-ma-jiggy he has tomorrow (Friday). Here’s the thing – the dough is supposed to chill overnight before baking. Soooo, I make the dough and throw it in the fridge and will have to bake them tonight, hoping that’s a long enough chill time. If not, then oh well. Oh, and I also didn’t have enough flour – I was 3/4 cup short. So I called my mom and asked what would happen if I used some “self-rising” flour, because quite frankly, I wasn’t running to the store. I didn’t have time. She didn’t know what would happen. We’ll find out, because I used 3/4 cup of it in the dough.

6 – Finally, all files are completed. My computer informs me that I can upgrade to Windows 10,Ā free. I decide I might as well do this before I install the malware. I hit “upgrade” and while that’s upgrading (think a good hour – 2 hours), I ask my sister (who works in IT) and my brother-in-law, also a super IT guru for their input as to what malware I need to install. They give me their advice.

7 – I take a timeout while the computer is doing whatever it’s still doing and fold laundry, put it away and play with the children.

8 – I provide lunch to the starving children (not starving and they were having a blast throwing peanut butter and jelly at the walls and our dog – just kidding, they behaved extremely well…other than getting jelly ALL OVER THE PLACE around the kitchen table. HOW? They were seated the whole time. I didn’t see them throw did it land WAY over there?).

9 –Ā Once Windows finally upgrades to 10 (against the advice of my mom, who didn’t like it at all on her computer and reverted back to the old style), I locate the malware site and hit “download”. Approximately 3,ooo hours later (slight exaggeration), I discover I downloaded the wrong version. My brother-in-law is sweet enough to not yell at me but lets me know I need to call him and he’ll walk me through it all. This is now 1:30 pm. Yes, we’re going on 7 hours of my computer being almost completely center of attention today…

10 – I boil water for loose leaf tea – I brew the tea in the brewer (not sure what it’s called…but it is what you put the water and loose leaf tea into, before you then siphon the water into a cup to drink…)…

11 – I call my brother-in-law. He shows me where I need to go (in the new Windows 10) to uninstall a program. Tells me to call him back when I have uninstalled the wrong malware. I try to uninstall, but it tells me I need to reboot first. I reboot. While it’s rebooting, I run to the bathroom. Come back out and my screen states it’s running a disk scan and it appears to be stuck on 12%. GRRRR…I hit “ctrl”, “alt” and “del” at the same time, but nothing happens. I hold down the power button and restart it manually. This time I pay attention and a warning pops up stating that if I do not want a disk scan (my brother-in-law later told me not to do this ever), I need to press any key in 7 seconds. Ahh…so I press about, well, every key. Just in case. The computer loads back up. I uninstall the first file. It then tells me I have to reboot, AGAIN. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT’S GOOD!!!!!!

12 – I reboot. About this time, a small spider runs across the laptop. Yes, it did. And this is how fed up and done I am. I squished it with my bare hands. I didn’t even think about it, other than to wonder what kind of steel balls this spider had to run across my laptop, while it was on my lap, on a day like today? Yeah, so I killed it with my bare hands.

13 – Laptop reboots and I uninstall the malware and several other dumb files I don’t need/use. I call my brother-in-law back. We install the proper malware.

14 – I think everything is going well – I log on to the blog. Start working on the soft chocolate chip cookie postĀ (recipe here)Ā and my internet goes out – stating that my IP address isn’t stable. OH.MY.GOODNESS


15 – It’s now 3:00 pm. I have spent the majority of my day on this dumb thing. It’s then I realize that my loose leaf tea has been steeping for about an hour. Yeah……I go out, siphon it into my cup and I’ve taken about 3 sips so far. I’m sure it’s cold. I’ll have to re-heat it. That’s about par.

I feel like there was more – but I can’t think of it and I really don’t want to remember anything if it was bad or icky, lol!

The good news is that my blog appears to be ok and nothing was stolen…my computer seems to be up and running now. The battery is almost dead. But that’s fine – I have a cord for that.

The boys seem to be waking up from their naps – I have had zero “me time” this nap time, BUT I did have uninterrupted time to work on the laptop. That would be the silver lining.

I still have cookies to make, but I will be wise and wait until my husband gets home before I even attempt to try those. I need all hands on deck, I do believe, for the remainder of today.

Galatians 5:22-23 (NKJV)

“22Ā But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23Ā gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.”

Today’s tests have been about long-suffering (aka patience!) and self-control!!! šŸ˜‰

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *