1 2/3 cup sifted regular flour 1/3 cup shortening
1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp soda 2 eggs
3/4 tsp salt 1 cup mashed pumpkin
1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/3 cup water
1/2 tsp nutmeg 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 1/3 cup sugar
– Grease a regular loaf pan (9 x 5 x 3 inches)
Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices. Cream shortening, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Stir in pumpkin. Stir in dry ingredients alternately with water, beating just until smooth. Do not overbeat. Fold in nuts. Turn batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45-55 minutes or until done. Turn out on a wire rack and cool. Store in tight container. Slice and serve with butter.
- Mandy’s Hints: The above recipe is written just as it appears in the book.
- While the bread is delicious when prepared just as the recipe states, I think I’ll add more cinnamon the next time 🙂
- I used room temperature butter in place of shortening.
- I did not use any nuts in my bread, but I’m sure it would be just as delicious!
- When I did eat some of this bread, I threw a slice in the toaster for a few seconds before buttering it – yummy!!
*The Amish Cooking cookbook has hundreds (maybe thousands? I haven’t counted and don’t plan on it..) of recipes and no names were listed as to whom to give credit to for the actual individual recipes. Therefore, I can not give credit to the proper person for this delicious pumpkin bread recipe.